Waiting for...

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
7:55 PM

Sad day

Today has been a really sad day. I was told first thing this morning when I got to work that a man I work with, his son, committed suicide this past Saturday. Of course that is horrible news for anyone to hear, but I was especially sad. His name is Damon "DJ" Percival. I had a class or two with him at Calhoun a couple of years ago. Since then, I would always see him at Ketchup where he was a waiter. He was always smiling and being so friendly. He would always laugh and point when we saw one another out and say, "You work with my dad!" like he thought I would tell on him for having a good time. He was only 31 or 32. I have been pretty upset about it all day today. No, I did not hang out with him or really talk to him for more than a few minutes. BUT, it still hits close to home for some reason. Its just that feeling of...wow, I remember when he...and could I have done something to help him. I searched him on Facebook this morning and realized I had never ran across him on there or thought to search for him. Seeing all of his status updates should have been a sign for anyone that knew him well. I didn't, so I don't know if I would have, but it will always make me wonder. He was posting all kinds of signs of depression lately. I ask that if you notice any of your friends that seem to be down on themselves, please always take the time to check on them. You never know when your words of advice or just a shoulder to lean on could always be some one's only hope. I was also sad for his family, especially his dad that I work with. He has been in and out of work for his heart. He has congestive heart failure, had a leaky valve now replaced, and recently had a pacemaker put in. He has been having a hard time breathing these last couple of weeks and has been working half days. I know this will be so hard on him. His father, Dave, said he wrote a beautiful suicide note (if that is possible) and wanted to be cremated. He will be cremated and the visitation will be Thursday. He had a beautiful 10 year old daughter. It is so hard to think and wonder what was going on in some one's head when they feel like they have nothing left. I am just so sad. I am sad about a guy that I barely even knew, but someone who always seemed so happy. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read comments from people on his Facebook. I just can't imagine.

If that wasn't enough sad information, I heard several other things that just seemed to make my day even more sad. A lady on my team is going through tough times with her mother who has dementia/Alzheimer's. It is just so sad to hear the stories about her mother. She forgets where she is in her own home and puts things where they don't go. It reminds me of my grandmother and that I should have been there more for her while she was alive. Another thing was that my friend at work, Amy, her father is not doing well. He is battling cancer, and they just found out that it has spread. The last thing I can think of for the sadness today is about a man at work. I do not recall knowing him, but everyone I work with does. I may would remember him if I saw him, but I can't recall who he is. However, his story still makes me sad. He, just like I do monthly, went to the chiropractor. When the chiro twisted his neck to pop it, just like mine does every time, he did something to his spine I believe. He passed out right then and there and had a stroke. He is not old. I am thinking 30-40. He has two small children and a wife. He did live through this, but I believe they said he has had another stroke...but I'm not positive. They sent out an org-wide email that he had written from the hospital. He said that now he has a heart problem and they will be putting in a pacemaker today. He thanked everyone for thinking of him. That really hits close to home even though I don't know him at work. I go to the chiro every month and every month he pops my neck like that. It could happen to me and that is so scary. I don't know what good that does, but I am thinking I will ask mine to stop. This man was fine as far as I know before this happened. One trip to the chiro, and he leaves with a stroke if not more than one, now with a heart problem. I guess all of this sadness to say that we never know how good we have it sometimes. We could be any one of these people, or we could be going through this with someone we know or love. Tell your family and friends how much you love them because you never know when it could be the last time.

I have lost so many people in my life already. I still sometimes am shocked at all of the people I have lost a such a young age. I just wanted to remember them for a minute.

~ Joshua Mark Boyd - my first major tragedy in life. He passed away May 15, 1997 at 15 when I was in the 8th grade. I remember it like it was yesterday. We used to hang out at Newby's Grocery back in the day when it was cool. We would all play pool. We would hang out at his house or he would at ours.

~ Coretta Smith - One of the sweetest girls I went to middle school with. I remember my teacher announcing on the first day of school in 9th grade that she had passed away over the summer. She had cancer and I had no idea. I remember the teddy bear purse she always wore, those kind that zipped up the strap and you could wear on your back. She was so funny and was a big cuddly teddy bear.

~ Anthony Ortiz - passed away while I was still in school. I met him through a boyfriend at the time, but he ended up going to our school for a while. He was hilarious. He was always playing dirty jokes on people. He was notorious for, "Hey, look at my scar." Ha ha!

~ Kurk Nicholas - passed away right after we graduated high school. We had tech class together and would eat at Burger King on the way. He would die laughing every time I complained about the fries there always being "stubbies". He was the prettiest girl in the Ugly Walk, and wanted to be a chef in Atlanta I think.

~ Brad Holladay - passed away while I was living in Colorado around Christmas time either 2001 or 2002. I remember thinking how sad his family would always be at a time that was supposed to be so cheerful. We hung out all the time and he was the owner/breeder of my beautiful pits - Boomer and Serenity. He had a love for them just like I do.

~ Jessica Leigh Luna - what I consider my second biggest tragedy in life. Yes, I had lost all of these previous people, but Jessica was one of my best friends. It left myself regretting that I had not seen or hung out with her in a while before she passed away April 2005. She was the most beautiful person inside and out. She was always there for me to listen to all of my problems. I now wonder if I ever took the time to ask her what hers were. I was too stuck on mine. Wow, talk about tears. I just watched this video. You can also see her memory page. I miss her so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEA19kOxs-U. If you go to her page, you can hear her voice from her voicemail. www.jessica-luna.memory-of.com.

~ Grandma - passed away right after Jess and right before Kyle's grandma. I miss not seeing her on the holidays. I wish I was closer with my entire extended family. I don't spend near as much time with them as I should.

~ Nick Gilliam - passed away either right before or after Jess...please forgive me for not remembering. He was one of my little middle school "boyfriends", if you call it that back then. He was a skater boy and was the first to tell me what shants were - part shorts/part pants.

~ Brian Smith - a guy that our group of friends used to hang out with. We always hung out at his house.

~ Clint & Natash O'Steen - passed away together in September 2008. They were high school sweethearts and a couple I was around because my sister hung out with them. They would always come over to the house to hang out and swim.

~ Dan Messineo - passed away in November 2008. He was another one of the old group that my sister used to hang out with. Times change and we all split ways. I was lucky to know all of the older people because my sister was older. Dan was so funny. He always made us laugh and would do anything for me or my sister. He recently worked with my husband and put two and two together that I was Kyle's wife. He was so excited to know that. He loved my family as they loved him as well.

I am so sorry this post has been so sad. I guess just thinking about DJ and his dad, it has really brought up all of these memories. I am sure there are people I didn't remember. I know we have lost so many others, but I wasn't as close friends to all of them. Is there anyone you want to remember? It actually has made me feel better.

1 comments:

Kristen said...

I am so sorry. I have no idea what you are going through right now. I have had people die that I was close to at one point in time but nothing like you have. I know how much you miss Jessica and what a great person she was. I hope the rest of your week gets better. I love you dearly!!