Waiting for...

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
3:49 PM

Jigga

I apologize for leaving you in suspense for a week about my poor baby Jigga. Thanks Teri for getting me on track.

Getting him to the vet is a dilemma enough in itself. I feel like I am always the one to take the puppies to the vet when they are sick, and I usually spend my Saturday doing it or taking off work early. This time, I was bound and determined to get Kyle's help. With him working at the dealership, he doesn't really have to "take time off" when he's late. He may miss out on a sale or whatever, but he doesn't have to deduct leave like I do. I was told to drop Jig off at 8:00 last Thursday. I have to be at work at 7:30, and Kyle has to be at work at 8:30. The vet is a good little ways away from where we live and work, but it was doable. I would have to take off for like almost 2 hours to get him there and to work in time. So, I asked Kyle to please take him and I would pick him up by 5:30. I remind Kyle when leaving for work to take him by 8. I even call to make sure he is up in time as I'm driving to work. Then, I start to freak out. His phone was dead. That is also his alarm too, so I was really freaking out that he wouldn't wake up and then not take him because he was already late to work. I am a worrier like this. I call and call and call and still getting the dead phone. FINALLY, at like almost 10 or later, he answers his phone. He went on in to work first, and then went back to the house to take Jigga in to the vet. Whew. I was freaking out. I was hoping he wouldn't let me down and not take him in.

Ok, enough of all of that mess and my freaking out. Jigga made it to his appointment finally to be x-rayed. I leave work a little before 5 to make it to get him before they close. Traffic was awful!! I pulled up at almost 5:30 and was so afraid they would lock up. They didn't though. They were there. I was glad. The doctor walked me to the back to show me his x-rays. He pointed out that Jigga's knee bones no longer had cartilage between them any more, so they were rubbing together. He said his hips were a little bad too and may have some arthritis. So, it wasn't good news really, but he never uttered the words of putting him down. I was so relieved, but at the same time I still feel guilty that he is going through this. He said that it was not treatable. In humans, they would do a knee replacement which just is not what you do for dogs. He will have to be on medicine for the rest of his life to comfort him. He has been a lot more like himself since he's been on the medicine. Doc did say it is almost like an old person that it will be worse on days that its cold and/or rainy. I guess Kyle and I will cross the road when we feel its time that he's not acting himself to put him to sleep. He is still his normal happy self besides hopping around a little. He has to take a big ol' pill daily, and some other kind of chewy things that are supposed to prevent it from getting worse. They say those taste like treats to him. So, he gobbles those right up. He gets his pill in a piece of cheese, so he has no clue he's going through anything different. He gets excited when I open the fridge to give him some cheese! I love my Jigga man. He is my little man.

I am about to head to the grocery store to get ready for a fun party tomorrow. I can't wait for our big group to dress up as Star Trek for Halloween. I will update with pictures soon!

0 comments: