I was so pumped about Kristen's birthday, that I didn't even say that the same day was my grandma, Floy's birthday. I am so lucky to carry her name as my middle name. It really is an honor. I can only hope that I will be half the woman she is. She used to work in the lunch room at my school when I was little. I used to love going to her house where she would cook those round Mexican pizzas from the cafeteria. I love those things!! I still do! Me and my sister bought a pack of like 90 from a food supplier a few years ago. She has 9 children, tons of grandchildren, a few great grandchildren, and if I am thinking right then a couple of great, great grandchildren as well. Our family is huge on dad's side! I think she just loves to sit back and watch all of her family at holidays.
I went to visit her on her birthday, April 30th. I got to thinking that it was probably the first time I have ever done that. I am awful at only going to see family on holidays when everyone else is around. I really enjoyed spending time with my Floy aka Smithy. My aunt Sister was there when I got there. They were working on quilting a blanket for my other aunt's granddaughter who is going off to UA. When Sister left, Smithy took me down in the basement to show me another her "real Alabama" quilt, as she called it. It was I think patchwork. It had elephants, goal posts, footballs, and a bear Bryant hat. Each of the patterns were sewn on, and she said it took her a lot of hard work to do it. It was beautiful. We stretched it out on the table to get the wrinkles out, because it was hidden away in a trunk.
Then, she was showing me some of the gifts she had gotten for her birthday. One of them was a planter bed that has tricycle wheels and handle bars. It was so cute. You know me, I love to put stuff together, so I offered. She was excited that I wanted to put it together, because she would have had to wait for my uncle to come over to do it. We got out the screw drivers, and I went to work on it. I finally got it put together, and we carried it upstairs. She wanted it on the front porch to use as a magazine holder instead. She was afraid the plants with water would ruin the wood bed. We ended up finding a plant that was wrapped in plastic that we put in it instead.
While we were downstairs, she was showing me a punch bowl set that my dad sent her when he was in Guam in the Navy. It was all wooden and was the centerpiece of her big table downstairs. She asked me if I had anything wood, and I said no. She brought me this beautiful fruit basket with fruit that was all wooden. She said dad sent it to her with the other stuff. All of this even made it through the bad tornadoes in the 70's that hit their home. The bowl and fruit is a little beat up, but I absolutely love it. Not only is it special to me that she gave it to me, but that my dad gave it to her around 40 years ago. I made a special place for it in my kitchen, and it goes perfect with my Mexican theme. Happy Cindo de Mayo, by the way!
It was so good to visit with her and just listen to her talk about her family. She showed me a picture of my granddaddy when he was little in his little apron. She said that was all kids used to where when they were little. Her little boys wore blue gingham checks and the girls wore pink. She was telling me about my cousin's little girl that was born premature. She is now in the hospital at Vanderbilt with kidney problems. I hope she gets better. I definitely need to go by there more often and spend time with her while she is here. I am sure there is so much I can learn from her and just enjoy the memories with her. I can't wait to have children for her to love on. She loves babies so much. She just hugs and loves on them. My babies will love her and boy will she love them.


I went to visit her on her birthday, April 30th. I got to thinking that it was probably the first time I have ever done that. I am awful at only going to see family on holidays when everyone else is around. I really enjoyed spending time with my Floy aka Smithy. My aunt Sister was there when I got there. They were working on quilting a blanket for my other aunt's granddaughter who is going off to UA. When Sister left, Smithy took me down in the basement to show me another her "real Alabama" quilt, as she called it. It was I think patchwork. It had elephants, goal posts, footballs, and a bear Bryant hat. Each of the patterns were sewn on, and she said it took her a lot of hard work to do it. It was beautiful. We stretched it out on the table to get the wrinkles out, because it was hidden away in a trunk.
Then, she was showing me some of the gifts she had gotten for her birthday. One of them was a planter bed that has tricycle wheels and handle bars. It was so cute. You know me, I love to put stuff together, so I offered. She was excited that I wanted to put it together, because she would have had to wait for my uncle to come over to do it. We got out the screw drivers, and I went to work on it. I finally got it put together, and we carried it upstairs. She wanted it on the front porch to use as a magazine holder instead. She was afraid the plants with water would ruin the wood bed. We ended up finding a plant that was wrapped in plastic that we put in it instead.
While we were downstairs, she was showing me a punch bowl set that my dad sent her when he was in Guam in the Navy. It was all wooden and was the centerpiece of her big table downstairs. She asked me if I had anything wood, and I said no. She brought me this beautiful fruit basket with fruit that was all wooden. She said dad sent it to her with the other stuff. All of this even made it through the bad tornadoes in the 70's that hit their home. The bowl and fruit is a little beat up, but I absolutely love it. Not only is it special to me that she gave it to me, but that my dad gave it to her around 40 years ago. I made a special place for it in my kitchen, and it goes perfect with my Mexican theme. Happy Cindo de Mayo, by the way!
It was so good to visit with her and just listen to her talk about her family. She showed me a picture of my granddaddy when he was little in his little apron. She said that was all kids used to where when they were little. Her little boys wore blue gingham checks and the girls wore pink. She was telling me about my cousin's little girl that was born premature. She is now in the hospital at Vanderbilt with kidney problems. I hope she gets better. I definitely need to go by there more often and spend time with her while she is here. I am sure there is so much I can learn from her and just enjoy the memories with her. I can't wait to have children for her to love on. She loves babies so much. She just hugs and loves on them. My babies will love her and boy will she love them.




0 comments:
Post a Comment